Tangletown Neighborhood Association
Regular Meeting, Monday, August 21, 2006
1. Call to Order
2. Approval of Agenda—moved and seconded. Approved.
3. Approval of Minutes—moved and seconded. Approved.
4. CERT orientation—Kristi Rollwagen, Deputy Chief, Emergency Preparedness for the Minneapolis Fire Department gave a briefing on the CERT program, Community Emergency Response Team, an emergency preparedness program. Susan Ude will be working full time with the program from October on and has worked for the state on emergency planning. The purpose of CERT is to provide citizens with the basic skills require to handle virtually all of their own needs and them be able to respond to their neighborhood’s needs in the aftermath of a disaster. After a disaster, only about 1% of the nation will be involved as public safety first responders such as firefighters and police officers, so citizens will have to take a large responsibility in helping respond. In recent years CERT has been incorporated into the Citizen Corps program, an overall national volunteer effort. The training offered, on a Friday evening and all day Saturday & Sunday, includes the following topics: emergency preparedness, fire safety, first aid, search and rescue, and terrorism. More information is available from the Minneapolis Fire Department at 612 673 2890 or at http://www.hsem.state.mn.us, the state’s Homeland Security Emergency Management agency, and from http://www.citizencorps.gov/programs/cert.shtm. September 8, 9, 10 and November 10, 11, 12 are the next CERT training sessions.
5. Repeal of stop sign at the Highview Place and Longview Terrace intersection. Council Member Scott Benson presented the issue of the repeal of this stop sign. The city’s traffic department has looked at the location and does not have an issue with removing this stop sign. Mary Davidson reported that close neighbors do not think the stop sign is warranted and would like it removed. Moved that TNA support the removal of the stop sign at the stated location.
6. NRP report—Tom Balcom passed an update that the assembling of the NRP board continues and look for upcoming meetings.
7. Treasurer’s Report. July 4th and Fall 2006 Newsletter expenses are being paid and the July 4th event was a great success and raised about $1,000. Not all expenses are in yet.
8. Upcoming Events — Home Tour on September 17th. A number of great homes will be on the tour this year.
9. Open Matters – Board Members or Members of Tangletown. The Fall Newsletter is in the mail and should arrive any day now. National Night Out was very rainy this year and some blocks may choose to do a fall event instead.
Sarah Cortright, Mary Davidson, Jerry Doyle, Steve Edwards, Ryan Fisher, Norman Foster, Andrew Hedden, Laura Silver, Supat Tipayamongkol
Not present: Meredith Johnson, Doug Jondle, Joe Thiegs
Sarah Cortright, Mary Davidson, Jerry Doyle, Steve Edwards, Ryan Fisher, Norman Foster, Andrew Hedden, Meredith Johnson, Doug Jondle, Laura Silver, Joe Thiegs, Supat Tipayamongkol