PRELIMINARY DRAFT—August 21
Tangletown Neighborhood Association
Regular Meeting, Monday, August 20, 2007
7:00 P.M. Fuller Park
1. Call to Order.
2. Approval of Agenda. Moved and approved with #7 deferred.
3. Approval of Minutes. Moved and approved.
4. Creekside Commons housing development proposal: vote and discussion of follow-up letter to the planning commission.
Sarah Cortright outlined the discussions and input that have happened since April on the Creekside Commons proposal: presentations, questions, response, web postings, emails received. The Board at the last meeting felt it appropriate to have those concerned with the proposal present with little questions and answers given the previous meetings. Board members have received numerous emails and many discussions haven taken place in person and by phone. Discussions have also taken place between the developers and the neighbors close to the project location. Input has also been received from the offices of elected officials, city staff, and the various documents prepared by the project proposers as well as the Minneapolis Residents for Smart Density.
Joe Thiegs moved that the Board draft and send a letter to the City and Planning Commission to the effect that the position of the Board as a whole regarding the Creekside Commons project proposed by Mayflower Church and Plymouth Church Neighborhood Foundation is most closely reflected by the statement that the Board supports the project generally but has some concerns that the proposed capacity of 30 units is too large. Further, that the letter may include further specificity regarding the positions of Board Directors. Seconded by Mary Davidson. Motion passed by 4 votes to 3.
Joe Thiegs then moved that the Board send a letter to the City and Planning Commission reflecting that the Board does not oppose the requested zoning, conditional use permit, or variances, with the exception of the requested parking variance, which the Board opposes. Seconded by Mary Davidson. Passed unamimously.
Jerry Doyle and Ryan Fisher will draft the letter on behalf of the Board.
5. Request for “Special Meeting” by Minneapolis Residents for Smart Density. Sarah Cortright explained that the Minneapolis Residents for Smart Density has asked for a Special Meeting of the Tangletown Neighborhood Association. Harry Kaiser of Minneapolis Residents for Smart Density explained that the meeting would be in preparation for the City Planning Commission meeting, and should be attended only by members of the Tangletown Neighborhood Association, as defined in the TNA bylaws. Harry explained that a large number of people would attend a well-publicized meeting. Lee Blons of Plymouth Neighborhood Association asked if the Special Meeting would be informational only. Mary Davidson read from the Bylaws the provisions relating to Special Meetings. Sarah Cortright moved that a Special Meeting be held in response to the request. The motion was seconded by Jerry Doyle. The motion passed unanimously. A member of the audience asked that the notice for the meeting clearly state who can attend and/or participate in the Special Meeting.
6. NRP Update. Tom Balcom gave an update of the work of the Steering Committee of the Phase 2 of NRP. The Phase 2 Action Plan was circulated to the Board. Mary Davidson has represented the Board on the Steering Committee.
The Steering Committee has worked very closely with the NRP city staff throughout the development of this Action Plan. Tom asked that the Board authorize the circulation of the Action Plan for comment by neighbors, and for later approval by the Board for submission to the city. The Board approved posting the Action Plan on the Tangletown web site. [The draft Phase 2 plan is now posted at http://www.tangletown.org]
The Police Liason officer asked whether there has been any feedback on the Neighborhood Policing Plan.
7. Treasurer’s report [deferred]. Accounts are being transferred over to Jerry Doyle, the new Treasurer.
8. Upcoming events. Newsletter, Home Tour. Newsletter will be sent out in the next few weeks, featuring the Home Tour. The Home Tour will be Sunday, September 23rd from 1 to 5pm. Volunteers are welcome to help with staffing the tour. We need about 20 volunteers in total. Volunteers get a free ticket for the Home Tour.
Harry Kaiser asked about the question raised last month re Board membership. Sarah Cortright replied that the Board wished to wait to next May to add members to the Board.
Attendance: Chris Burns, Sarah Cortright, Mary Davidson, Jerry Doyle, Andrew Hedden, Meredith Johnson, Joe Thiegs.
Not present: Ryan Fisher, Mary Jane Mitchell.
Chris Burns, Sarah Cortright, Mary Davidson, Jerry Doyle, Ryan Fisher, Andrew Hedden, Meredith Johnson, Joe Thiegs, Mary Jane Mitchell.
Approved Sept 17th.