Tangletown Neighborhood Association
Regular Board Meeting
Monday, July 20, 2009
Board members present: Steve Bieringer, Bruce Bruemmer (secretary), Mary Davidson (treasurer), Woody Dixon, Dick Fiala, Ryan Fisher (president), Norman Foster, Mary Jane Mitchell (vice president), Lynnel Voigt.
1. President Ryan Fisher called the meeting to order at 7:03 pm.
2. A motion was made to approve the agenda and approved.
3. The June meeting minutes were approved.
4. Amy Lavender, Minneapolis Police Crime Prevention Specialist, reported on public safety and National Night Out (August 4). There was no gang related graffiti found in the neighborhood, just tagging. People should call or send pictures of suspect graffiti to Amy. As far as crime for the month goes, June was an excellent month.
5. July 4th event review. Financials were not available because the past treasurer was absent. The board estimated attendance at the event was 10-15% above normal; the event was a great success. Lynnel sent acknowledgments to all of the donors of prizes. There were generally enough prizes, although more probably could have been obtained if the board had begun soliciting donations earlier.
6. Ryan reported on the Tangletown home tour in Sarah’s absence. The event still needs some houses for the tour. There was discussion about the interest by realtors in including homes for sale in the tour. The board decided against this for the present. The tour typically includes 5 houses. The event needs 4 volunteers per house (so about 30 people). This year the tour will take place on September 20th or 27th (Sunday); Ryan will confirm the date.
7. NRP Housing program update. Ryan reported on CEE and updates on the loan program. Tom Balcom, the NRP representative, reported on water tower watering, Fuller Park initiative money, shade for the pool, and other projects. Ryan commented that we need to get monies expended before the end of the year. Discussion over some of these projects ensued, especially the watering. An NRP meeting will be held to examine these options.
8. Discussion turned to the TNA editor role and approval of funds to begin new site. Norman Foster said that the newsletter should be out for 13th of September (ahead of the home tour), so we need to have newsletter laid out within a week of August 17. Ryan and Tjody deVaal, the incoming editor, discussed the newsletter and web site with, as well as potential content (4th of July, NRP plan, home tour, Scott Benson’s update, fund raising, calendar thing). Mary Davidson moved to recognize Norman Foster for all of his good work for Tangletown as editor for the past five years. The motion was seconded and unanimously approved. Ryan moved that we use remaining funds to establish a reconfigured web site. The motion was seconded and approved.
9. Mary Davidson (Treasurer) gave an update on the transition of the treasurer’s duties. She reported that Ryan and she are now signatories on the account. She will meet with the former treasurer and report at the next board meeting.
10. Carol Anderson reported that all is fine at Fuller Park. They are getting ready for fall. Registration starts August 10.
11. John Erwin spoke; he was on the Minneapolis Park Board from 2002 to 2005. He is running for city wide Park Board commissioner.
12. Tom Balcom announced that the Tangletown Historic Tour will take place August 2, starting at Washburn Library.
13. Ryan moved adjournment and the board adjourned at 8:35 pm.