TANGLETOWN NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2010
Board members present: Mary Jane Mitchell – President, Tony Proell – Vice-President, Mary Davidson – Treasurer, Bruce Bruemmer – Secretary, Steve Bieringer, Tjody DeVaal, Jane Elias, Ryan Fisher, Jeff Gears, April Heers, Tom Steichen, Lynell Voigt
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:03pm.
2. The October meeting minutes were approved.
3. Carole Anderson introduced the new community park directors Lynch, Walker, Cornell, and Wilson. They represent the new Community Service Area the includes Tangletown (Fuller, Martin Luther King Jr., Lyndale Farmstead, Painter). The Minneapolis Parks went through a recent restructuring, and the new system shares directors within a Community Service Area. The directors were excited about the opportunities that the reorganization creates.
4. Jean White described the self defense workshop, part of the Washburn Community Education program. The typical attendance was 30 women, and they hold the workshop in the Washburn HS auditorium. She proposed two dates in April, and asked for the Board’s financial assistance. There was a motion and second to approve $250 to apply to the workshops. The motion passed. The board declined to fund other offerings discussed noting that the self defense workshop was within the special interests of the neighborhood association.
5. Tony Proell updated the board on the recent CEE Home Energy Audit Program. No final numbers participation numbers have been received, but all who were involved indicated that the program was a success.
6. Mary Jane Mitchell updated the board on the Business Façade Improvement Program. A few business are interested and the board discussed other area that they could target.
7. Jane Elias and Tony Proell will attend the Neighborhood Policing Plan meeting on November 16 and push for more education for Tangletown.
8. Gears and Hears will attend as electors from the neighborhood for the NRP Policy Board Election.
9. Ryan updated the group on the TNA staff hire. All interviews would be completed shortly and the subcommittee will proceed with the hiring before the end of the month.
10. No one was able to attend the meeting over Nice Ride bicycle service. Ryan talked to their representatives and urged the board to keep connected so we can take advantage of the service when it expands.
11. There was nothing new to report on placing bike racks in Tangletown.
12. Tjody reported on the Committee for the Arts. Six people had contacted her about the committee and she was trying to round up artists for an event. The board moved and seconded a motion to designate up to $100 to support the art event. Motion passed.
13. Mary Davidson made a treasurer’s report. She made a motion to roll $10,000 from Phase I NRP “plan implementation support” H.2.1.1 to Phase 2 D2.1.1 “community building with business.” The motion was seconded and passed.
14. Carole Anderson gave an update to Fuller Park activities during the holidays.
15. The Board agreed to meet at Simply Jane’s for a December holiday gathering.
16. Tjody mentioned Minneapolis disaster recovery planning and said that she would investigate it further.
17. The meeting adjourned at 8:36 pm.