2011 March 22 Minutes

TANGLETOWN NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

REGULAR BOARD MEETING

Minutes

MONDAY, March 22, 2011

7:00 P.M.

FULLER PARK

Board members present: Mary Jane Mitchell – President,  Bruce Bruemmer – Secretary, Steve Bieringer, Tjody DeVaal, Carolyn Dungan, Jane Elias, Ryan Fisher, Jeff Gears,  Tom Steichen, Lynell Voigt.  Also present: Rhea Sullivan and Carole Anderson.

 

1. Meeting was called to order at 7:04 pm.

2. February meeting minutes were posted on the web site and approved.

3. Mary Davidson was not in attendance, but Rhea read a list of recently disbursed checks.

4.  Amy Lavender of the Minneapolis Police Department reported on neighborhood safety.  She distributed a handout on recent crimes in the neighborhood and discussed each item.  Also on the handout was a list of blocks in need of a block captain, and she noted the next block training for the 5th precinct will occur on April 20.  She also noted that she provide burglary training and can be contacted at amy.lavender@ci.minneapolis.mn.us

5. Brian Kelley of All About Family described his Lego(TM) projects and was interested in conducting another activity session.  He often partners with parks and other groups and costs about $300 per activity.  His website is at www.allaboutfam.org.

6. NRP Subcommittee report (Ryan, April, MJ, Jane & Rhea) – Rhea noted a meeting of the subcommittee and progress relating to planning for TNA’s application for Community Participation Program funding. She reviewed the Notice of Tangletown NRP Plan Modification for a total of $83,291.56 moving Phase I funds to Phase II. Ryan noted that no inquiries or comments were received from the posting.  The plan was moved and seconded and passed unanimously by the Board and the community present. Also submitted was a project funding request entitled “Tangletown Phase II Neighborhood Action Place: Scope of Services for Business Directory” which assigned $3,466 of phase II monies for the Tangletown Business Directory from D.2.1.1 funds.  The funding request was moved and seconded and passed unanimously.

7. Rhea gave an update on funds for tree planting at Fuller Park.  There were five trees scheduled to be planted at a cost of $500.  We have $2000 in this fund, which includes donated monies. The Board will extend the contract for five years to allow for a gradual tree plantings.

8. Mary Jane reported that a member and alternative needs to be sent to the NCEC elections on April 16th. No one was interested so Ryan volunteered.

9. Communications Subcommittee report (Rhea, Lynell, Kay Quinn, Tjody, & MJ) – Mary Jane reported that the subcommittee had not met since the last Board meeting, but that they wanted to gather electronic mail addresses of residents.  This will be done through a service and a newsletter article.  Rhea commented that the subcommittee would like to make the newsletter available for distribution electronically.

10. Tjody reported on the newsletter, which is scheduled to go to the printer on April 1.  A discussion ensued about articles, assignments were made, and Tjody entreated the writers to turn these in by Thursday at the latest.  TNA will continue to send this out via bulk mailing.

11. Steve reported on the Annual Garage Sale, which will be held May 6-7. He urged the Board to invest in additional signage and was assigned to investigate

12. Carole Anderson gave an update on activities at Fuller Park and affiliated sites, noting the teen night activity, plans for Earth Day (April 16) and honors to Peter Rabbit, egg hunts, and bunny brunches at King Park on April 1.

13. Mary Jane discussed plans for the TNA Annual Meeting in May. Rhea noted that food is often used to entice attendance.

14. Mary Jane noted the Minneapolis Budget and Taxes Meeting with Mayor Rybeck and Council Member Quincy on March 30 at Mayflower Church from 6:30 to 8pm.

15. The meeting was adjourned at 8:50 pm.

2011 February 21 Minutes

TANGLETOWN NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
Minutes
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2011

Board members present: Mary Jane Mitchell – President, Tony Proell – Vice-President,  Mary Davidson — Treasurer, Bruce Bruemmer – Secretary, Steve, Bieringer, Jane Elias, Ryan Fisher,  April Heers

1. The meeting was called to order at 7:07 pm.
2. The January meeting minutes were approved with one addition from Mary Jane.
3. The winter weather prevented the attendance of all of the invited people and many of the board members, so many items in the agenda were dropped from the meeting.
4. The president moved approval of the Charitable Organization Report to the Minnesota Attorney General.  The motion passed unanimously.
5. NRP Subcommittee report (Ryan, April, MJ, Jane & Rhea) – The recent budgetary changes affecting the neighborhoods required a reallocation of funds and notice as prescribed by the by laws.  Mary Jane approved the Plan Modification for passage at the March Meeting, available here.
6. The board discussed the issue of voting by email, and decided that in the interest of transparency that anything beyond housekeeping motions are best acted upon during the regular meeting.  Bruce noted that the by laws permit an executive committee to act between meetings and made a motion to establish an executive committee consisting of the TNA officers and April Heers.  Bruce will investigate normalizing the rules governing the executive committee in the by laws.
7. Mary Jane reported on the communications subcommittee report (Rhea, Lynell, Kay Quinn, Tjody, & MJ).  There was discussion over generating an email mailing list for Tangletown Alerts, just like some other neighborhoods have (Fulton, for example).  There was further discussion over cost, mechanisms and rationale. The board will use the newsletter to announce and solicit a neighborhood email list list.  The committee also wanted to establish block contacts to enable the neighborhood to get welcome packets to new residents.
8. CEE Competitive Grant Program – Rhea attended the Grant Program Meeting. Tony will write a blurb for the newsletter on the challenge grants.
9. Dog Park Community Advisory Committee – Tony Proell and Vincent Moccio (Valleyview Place) will represent Tangletown on the Advisory Committee.
10. Nice Ride – Bruce reported on the Nice Ride document that showed likely sites for expansion.  There were two possible sites within the TNA area.  Bruce will follow up with Nice Ride.
11. Bike racks – Tony reported that there was nothing new on the bike racks.  He suggested that we have a resolution supporting bikes and walking in the neighborhood.
12. The neighborhood Clean Sweep program was discussed. Since the neighborhood did a large clean sweep last year, the board decided to skip it this year.
13. Mary Davidson reported on the current state of the treasury.
14. April Hears will investigate when the Lyndale Bridge public meeting will be held.
15. The meeting adjourned at 8:25 pm.

2012 City Budget and Taxes Meeting

Meet with the Mayor and Your Council Member
Regarding The 2012 City Budget and Taxes

Mayor R.T. Rybak and City Council Member John Quincy will be hosting a community meeting on Wednesday, March 30 from 6:30-8 p.m. at the Mayflower Church (106 East Diamond Lake Road, Minneapolis MN).  

The meeting is about the city budget and property taxes. The Mayor is especially interested in getting input as we prepare for the 2012 city budget.

The meeting is open to the public.  Invite your friends and neighbors!