2012 February 20 Minutes

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:00 p.m., Fuller Park

Board members present: Mary Jane Mitchell – President, Tony Proell –Vice President, Carolyn Dungan – Secretary, Steve Bieringer, Andrea Siegel, Jane Elias, Lynell Voigt

Also present: Amanda Vallone – TNA coordinator, Tom (Tangletown resident), Brent, Seth and Charlie (owners of new bike shop). 

  1. Meeting was called to order at 7:03 p.m.
  2. The January meeting minutes were approved without change.
  3. Treasurer’s Report – Ryan was not present so there was no Treasurer’s report.
  4. Introduction of new bike shop owners – A new bike shop will move into the space previously occupied by Carlson bikes.  The owners and operators of the new shop, Seth, Brent and Charlie have extensive experience and run two other bike shops in the city – Recovery Bike Shop at 25th and Central in Northeast and Recycle Bike shop in Uptown.  The new shop will open March 1st and will have extended hours as compared with the Carlson shop.  They will sell mostly refurbished bikes but will also carry some new bikes.  The owners are interested in connecting to the community and asked for the board’s support in helping them do so.  Mary Jane suggested reaching out to the people at Creekside Commons to get involved with their bike rodeo and also having a presence at the 4th of July Celebration at Fuller Park.   Mary Jane also suggested that the Walk Tangletown Day could be expanded to a Bike/Walk Tangletown Day and the bike shop could be involved in this event.   Amanda suggested that the next TNA newsletter include an article introducing the new shop. 
  5. Follow up meeting with John Quincy – Ryan, Andrea and Mary Jane met with John to share the board’s list of potential goals for the upcoming year.   John had a couple of ideas for the board – a water reclamation project at Diamond Lake and a litter pick up event.   John explained that the NCR differs from the NRP in that they are connected to the city vision, they work on concerns for seniors, they pull together leaders and create interconnectivity and sharing of resources between neighborhoods.  John suggested that TNA consider holding the next annual meeting at another venue to highlight another neighborhood establishment such as Mayflower Church or Creekside Commons.  John’s thought is that it may also serve as a draw to get people to the meeting.  Ryan had suggested that we also hold a party after the annual meeting. Jane offered her paint studio as a place to hold the annual meeting.  Andrea suggested hiring one of the restaurants affected by the bridge closing to cater the event.  Prima is a good possibility.  Tony suggested a having a give away at the meeting as incentive to get people there.  Possible prizes would be a bike or a gift certificate to Kowalskis.  Mary Jane suggested that a committee plan the annual meeting – Jane, Andrea and Amanda all volunteered.  The committee will put together a plan for the annual meeting by our next board meeting in March.  Other things John mentioned were 1) He hopes to host in South Minneapolis the 2013 National Neighborhood Conference 2) John asked how often he should come to the TNA board meetings and Mary Jane suggested 4 times per year. 
  6. May 2012 Garage Sale – Steve and April.  The dates for the sale are May 4th and 5th.  There is nothing else new to report.  Steve will forward information to Tjody to include on the postcard mailing.
  7. Mural – Jane received the notes from Rhea.  We are doing 3 murals.  Jane will take care of leading volunteers but will need help from Amanda with the paper work.  The letter is ready to send to businesses that might be interested in having a mural.  Janie has received a response from 3 artists to help and she’s thinking there’s more.  We already have the funds.  Tony will give Janie name of contacts at Washburn to get students involved in the project.
  8. Safety committee – Steve, Jeff – No updates.
  9. Annual meeting – see #5.
  10. Newsletter – Amanda offered to help with the newsletter.  Amanda noted that Windom has advertisements in their newsletter so it is self supporting.  Mary Jane will make a list of article subjects and email to the board members for people to volunteer to put together articles.  Deadline for articles March 15th.  Amanda suggested that we put the deadlines for each newsletter in a calendar.  
  11. E-News – Ryan was not present.  Mary Jane noted that the E-News will go out 3 days before garage sale applications are due.
  12. Lyndale Avenue Bridge Reconstruction – The flyer for NEHBA Expect the Unexpected Shop Southwest will be distributed starting tomorrow.  A PDF of poster is available and will be posted in businesses tomorrow.  A link for information on the bridge project will be provided in our next newsletter and E-News.  NEHBA received an additional grant of $50,000 from the city to help business affected by the bridge reconstruction
  13. Future planning/ideas – Amanda provided a handout outlining what she will need from board members.  She will be working on reallocating Phase 2 NRP funds to the new CPP.
  14.  Fuller Park Update – Carol not present.  Mary Jane noted that the blood drive is coming up.
  15. Other business and announcements – NCEC (Neighborhood Community Engagement Commission) will be holding a community connection conference with approximately 400 attendees.  Amanda will attend and send out notes on the meeting.  Matt noted that food will not be an eligible expense under NRP.
  16. Adjournment  8:32pm


Next Meeting:  Monday, March 19, 2012