2013 August 19 TNA Board Meeting Minutes

BOARD MEETING MINUTES –  Monday, August 19, 2013 7:00 p.m., Fuller Park

Board members present: Ryan Fisher – President, Carolyn Dungan – Secretary, Sandra Bartsias – Treasurer, Lauren Anderson, Karen Costello, Eric David, Mary Jane Mitchell, Tony Proell, Dylan Sirny

Also present:  Carol Anderson (Fuller Park), Tom Balcom (Historian), Don Hall (resident for Fuller plaque),  John Quincy (Councilman),

1. Call to Order 7:06

2.  Fuller Park plaque update, park grant – Tom Balcom reported that he has contacted Mark Caplan for a reference on this project.  Mark Caplan oversaw the implementation of the plane crash plaque on Emerson & 27th.    Tjody is working with him and the Minneapolis Park Board and the application should be ready to submit this week.  The Park Board gave guidance on the material for plaque as well as how to attach it to the rock.  Ginger Cannon with the Minneapolis Park Board is now our contact for this project.

In regard to the historical pamphlet, Tom reported that it will be completed in time for the dedication of the plaque and the presentation in October.  The plan is to print 200 booklets – maybe 50 for the dedication and have the others available at the park.    John Quincy added that Windom had similar booklets and provided them in the welcome baskets and then sold them for $3.00.  John will provide a Windom booklet to Tom as an example.  Tom will work with Steve to see if Park Board needs to approve the booklet and verify facts.

3.  Tangletown water tower project proposal – Tom contacted Tangletown Gardens regarding improving the tower grounds.  They discussed putting together a committee with someone from the city water department and a couple of people in the neighborhood and maybe board members.  There is spot lighting of the tower and when lights go out it is reported to the city water department  to replace bulbs.  Lighting of the lower level and the plants would be a new investment.  Tom reported that we will need a plan for short-term and long-term responsibilities for Tangletown Gardens, TNA and the city based on a partnership for the project.   Ryan stated that the TNA board can contribute to initial project with very little to earmark for ongoing maintenance.   The city water works does the upkeep of mowing and we could possibly partner with them on maintenance of plantings.  Tom also suggested a small plaque at bottom of the sidewalk too to draw people up.  Ryan will put out a Facebook call for residents to participate on the committee.  He’ll run it by Tom before posting it.

4. Partnership development with Washburn High School – There was a meeting Tuesday to review the new WHS scoreboard plan for a redesigned scoreboard proposed on South end of field.  Representatives from School District and the Interim Athletic director and assistant principal were there to support the new plan.  The presentation was straight forward and there was low attendance at the meeting.  Other concerns that were raised include use of field, sound levels and light pollution.  This led into other topics regarding neighborhood issues affected by the school.    This meeting was set up by the district to present the current plan and to have neighborhood engagement.   There are no city ordinances for scoreboards – height and brightness of light are the only parameters that city controls.   The current proposal is for a scoreboard total height of approximately 25 feet high.  It’s still an issue as to where to put it.  TNA wants to partner with the school on this and other issues such as PA volume, communications to neighborhood as to events on the field, hours, etc.   It would be nice to have someone from WHS to meet with board and someone from TNA on the WHS site council.  John feels district should give reasons as to why they are placing the scoreboard where they propose it.  We can give our concerns and respond to it.  Won’t happen for fall – the zoning administration of city staff need to approve the placement, height and brightness of light.  Ad sponsorship was removed.  They will continue to use the current “wheel out” scoreboard until the permanent one is installed.   The previous permanent scoreboard was removed when they began the installment of the permanent one.

John will request the involvement of NCR to help facilitate a committee to establish policies regarding the hours of use and sound levels for the scoreboard as well as other issues such as parking, transit, litter, art issues, urban farm, bees, band, etc.  Residents, TNA board members, school board member Tracine Asburry and WHS and Ramsey representatives should be included on the committee.

Ryan will report back on this next meeting.

5. Neighborhood Priority Plan supporting 54th and Lyndale Special Services District – NCR was going to review the plan before it reached city council.  Matt Perry is meeting with business partners to get them interested.

6.  Pool shade update – Ryan delivered Steve’s update on pool shades stating that the Minneapolis Park board has said the project will not happen this year.

7. TNA survey preliminary results review – Ryan will schedule another committee meeting within the next month and involve NCR to follow up on survey results.  We’ve been working off an old NRP phase II plan so it will be good to update.   Sandra, Eric, Lauren, Mary Jane and Carolyn are all interested in reviewing survey results.  Mary Jane volunteered to do the drawing and deliver the prizes for survey respondents.    Ryan reported that there were a total of 89 responses to the survey.

8. Secretary report – The Board minutes of the July 15, 2013 meeting were posted on the TNA website for Board approval.

Upon motion duly made, seconded and unanimously adopted, the minutes were approved as presented.

9. Treasurer report – The association has not spent any money since the last meeting.   Sandra is setting up a direct withdrawal account with the post office to facilitate future mailings.  Sandra reported that we have not yet gotten billed by Diamond Lake Rental for the 4th of July event.  Sandra reported that the Diamond Lake post office now closes at 5pm whereas it used to be 6:30.

10. Committee Reports –

Arts – John Quincy offered Mary Peterson’s help with the Utility Box project and getting an extension on our grant and also getting through any other city requirements.  The Gateway project has moved forward and they have updated their website.  John will provide another report on it next month.

Communications – Did not meet.  No report.

NPR – Mary Jane and Sandra are meeting tomorrow to discuss extending the time frame for using our business façade grant funds that expired in December.  The question was posed whether we want to renew and get another funding.   It was agreed that we should evaluate the program and look at what worked and what didn’t.

Environment/Sustainability – Regarding the WHS Urban Farm, ECO education is having issues and TNA will follow up on how to ensure that $1,000 of grant money paid to ECO education is recovered and applied to the WHS Urban Farm project or another WHS project.  Lauren, Eric and Carolyn will try to find out more information.  Mary Jane went to the Lynhurst and Armatage festivals and noted that the sustainability committees had nice tables.  Lynhurst and Armatage would like to partner with us on sustainability issues.  It was reported that three groups are working on a project involving the creek – Lynhurst, Windom and Fulton – and it was agreed that Tangletown should also be involved.

Business – Dylan had to leave early.  No report.

11. Partner and other announcements –

Ryan posed the question to John Quincy whether TNA has a new NCR representative yet.  John reported that no one has been hired yet for that position, but when they are, they will report to him.   Our previous representative, Lance Knuckles received a promotion.

John Quincy – One Minneapolis One Read book has been established and he will present it at next month’s meeting.

On August 27th at 6pm Congressman Ellis will present on the airport issues at WHS.

The city budget was presented last week and includes a negative one percent tax levy.  The next two months will be spent perfecting the budget.

Carole Anderson – Fuller Park has a book club the 2nd Wednesday of every month at Washburn Library.  Fuller Park is now working with Lynhurst, Armatage, Pershing, Linden Hills and Kenny.  Carole did receive the $100 fee from each of the food vendors at 4th of July event.

Sandra Bartsias – Suggested placing an announcement on Facebook now for the Halloween tour and start advertising it in the Southwest Journal.  Ryan will reach out to the committee members,  Andrea, Jeff , Steve and Tjody to remind them to start on this.

It was suggested that our Communications committee should report on the Ramsey/WHS  partnership committee, the Halloween House Tour, post pictures of the 4th of July event, report survey results and Fuller Park activities using E-News, Facebook and any other appropriate media.  It was noted that our E-News has 507 members.  Eric will look at how to get reports out of constant contact.

12. There being no further business, on motion duly made, seconded and carried, the meeting was adjourned at 8:47pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Carolyn Dungan, TNA Secretary

 Next Meeting: Monday, September 16, 2013 at Fuller Park.

X