December 2016 Minutes

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – Monday, December 19, 2016 – 7:00 p.m., Dick’s House

Board members present: Justin Wills, Briana Daymont, Joy Gottschalk, Ryan Fisher, Dick Fiala, Kathy Kornblum, Dan Williams, Mary Jane Mitchell, Andrew Buss

Board members absent: Sandra Bartsias, Eric David, Joy Glasser, Steve Bieringer

Also Present: Tom Balcom (neighborhood historian), Councilmember John Quincy, Tjody DeVaal

Called to order: 9:00pm

Officer Reports:
Secretary – A motion to approve the November 2016 minutes was made, seconded and approved.

Rain Garden Program
The Sustainability Committee would like to partner with Metro Blooms to make rain gardens more affordable to neighborhood residents. TNA would find interested home owners and pay Metro Blooms $500 for each completed garden, with Metro Blooms providing the rain garden design and digging labor. The homeowner would be responsible for paying Metro Blooms for the initial site evaluation ($50), purchasing materials (compost, mulch, and plants; about $400), and planting labor. Kathy moved to allocate up to $3,000 for a total of five gardens. Joy seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, none opposed. Motion approved.

Minnehaha Watershed District Partnering for Clean Water
Tom Balcom informed the board that the Minnehaha Watershed is developing a comprehensive plan for water quality in the district, including storm water management, rain gardens, and fertilizer reduction. As part of the formal review process, there is a comment period ending in early 2017, and an anticipated deadline of June 27 for plan adoption. Tom recommended that TNA should be represented during the process as Minnehaha Creek is an important part of Tangletown. The Sustainability Committee will follow up.

City Council Candidate Debate
Our ward has a contested election for 2017. We would like to partner with Hale/Page/Diamond Lake (HPDL) to plan a council candidate debate by April. HDPL is looking for a yes/no on partnering by December 30. The League of Women Voters has been proposed as a moderator. Potential budget asks would be refreshments and securing a location, but there is no proposed budget or financial requirement at this time. Ryan moved to approve a partnership with no current budget asks; Kathy seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, none opposed. Motion approved.

Utility Boxes
Dan requested funding for artist honorariums for three utility box wraps. His research found a range between $1,000 (from a 2013 call for artists) and $5,000 (for a 2015 Prospect Park call for multiple boxes). After discussion Kathy moved to fund up to three utility box artists at $1,500 per box. Justin seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, none opposed. Motion approved.

Ramsey Renaming
Ramsey Middle School is exploring a name change, and asked if TNA was interested in both promoting listening sessions and possibly funding a new sign after the rename. The board will take no action at this time as there are no listening sessions scheduled and no decision on a name change, but would be happy to hear proposals if/when an official decision is made.

Adjourned: 9:36

Minutes submitted by Dan Williams, TNA Secretary