TANGLETOWN NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION
REGULAR BOARD MEETING MINUTES
Monday, July 16, 2012 7:00 p.m. Simply Jane Open Artist Studio
Board members present: Ryan Fisher – President, Steve Bieringer – Vice President, Sandra Bartsias – Treasurer, Carolyn Dungan – Secretary, Jane Elias, Mary Jane Mitchell, Tony Proell, Andrea Siegel, Dylan Sirny, Lynell Voigt
Also present: Amanda Vallone – TNA coordinator, Don Hall, Judy Diffley, Roy Lafayette – residents with memorial plaque proposal.
- Call to Order 7:10
- Fuller Memorial Plaque – Don Hall, a Tangletown resident, reported on the progress of the Fuller Park memorial plaque. A draft of the inscription was distributed to the board. Don is working with Tjody for the design, Tom Balcom for historical reference and Steve Bieringer for mock up. Steve also offered to contact the Minneapolis Park board regarding specifications and possible city contractors for this type of project. Tjody obtained cost estimates for a bronze plaque which are $275 for an 8X10 version or $800 – $1,300 for a 12X15 version. The following have agreed to form a committee to see this project through: Don Hall, Judy Diffley, Roy Lafayatte, Tjody DeVaal, Steve Bieringer, Tom Balcom.
- NUSA – Amanda reported on what she took away from her attendance at the 2012 NUSA (Neighborhoods USA) conference. A Neighborhood Pride Tour showcased 60 neighborhoods in Indianapolis and culminated with an event catered by local restaurants. Tangletown may want to participate in the tour for the 2013 NUSA conference hosted in Minneapolis. The application cost is $1,500 and the deadline for application is September 1st. Other neighborhood initiatives that Amanda learned about at the conference were mural projects and a Youth Photography exhibit that displayed photos documenting neighborhoods from a youth perspective. Another session at the conference spoke to intergenerational communities and the importance of labeling programs as “all ages” instead of using the term “seniors”. The Grass Roots session included a mock board meeting which was very basic and offered Amanda no new knowledge. Amanda is suggesting that next year the sessions include a basic track and an advanced track to better serve the different levels of experience.
- Community Participation Program (CPP) Application – Ryan spoke with Lance Knuckles last week regarding the application process and the CPP committee met to work on the application, the ADA policy and the EEO policy. Ryan emailed the documents to the board for review. The application must be approved before TNA can get reimbursed so it is a high priority. Mary Jane made a motion to adopt the ADA policy and the motion passed unanimously. Mary Jane made a motion to adopt the EEO policy and the motion passed unanimously. Mary Jane made a motion that we approve the CPP Application and the motion passed unanimously. Ryan will forward the board-approved documents to Lance for a final review. The Annual Report will be completed by the CPP committee either in person or via email within the next couple of weeks.
- 4th of July Debrief – A meeting has been scheduled for tomorrow evening at Lynell’s home. Dylan and Jane will not be able to attend. Dylan had suggestions to enhance the parade such as segmenting the parade with added features and having some type of finale when it reaches the park. Amanda suggested a tent at the school so that the ticket sales and decoration station is more visible. Steve is going to work on providing signage for Fuller Park events as one way to repay their contribution to the 4th event. Ryan suggested placing flyers on the doors of houses on the parade route to get more spectators. Ryan reported that the event took in $4,285 and after expenses showed a net loss of approximately $270.00 so we can view this as a community engagement event not a moneymaker.
- Contracted staff – Ryan would like to set up a subcommittee to outline the positions of Editor and Coordinator. Those interested should send an email to Ryan.
- Secretary’s report – the June minutes were approved without changes
- Treasurer’s report by Ryan noted that the NRP account stands at $17.64, the CPP account is at $2,049.54 and the Tangletown Neighborhood Association account is at $12,179.97.
- TNA Coordinator’s Report – Amanda provided the report in a document that was distributed to board members. Items for board consideration include getting out the word on the CEE home energy loan program, consider using Bobby and Steven’s Youth Foundation grant money for Fuller Park playground enhancements, start planning a walk/bike event now for this fall, decide when the next newsletter will be published and if E-News should be sent monthly, and let Amanda know what should be her priorities for August and September.
- TNA Committee Assignments – Carolyn will email to all board members a listing of the existing committees and their members. A charter will be provided for each committee.
- Arts Committee – Jane reported that the second mural will be at the Animal Hospital on Lyndale and be led by Tjody. The committee is working on the location for the third mural. Dylan suggested the Fuller Park building. Carolyn reported that the utility box project is moving along and that the committee is working on getting together artwork and photographs from local artists for the next step in the application process that is due July 27th.
- CPP Committee – Mary Jane reported that there are three building facade projects approved for which we are awaiting the applications.
- Tangletown Survey – Ryan reported that one of the goals for the coming year is to complete a new survey to determine residents’ priorities for the neighborhood. The CPP committee will spearhead and all board members are asked to help put together the survey questions. Steve suggested that we get the survey ready for NNO so that it can be distributed at block parties.
- Fuller Park – no update since Carole was not present.
- Additional announcements – Ryan reported that Matt Perry is no longer on the Neighborhood and Community Engagement Commission (NCEC) but that they recently voted to allow advertising in city funded neighborhood newsletters. If anyone knows of a family that would be willing to host a Japanese student let Ryan know. Many of the 4th of July postcards were returned and it may help to address them to “Current Resident” and “Current Business”.
- Adjournment 9:05 pm
Next Meeting: Monday, August 20, 2012 at Fuller Park.