April 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – Monday, April 17, 2017 – 7:08 p.m., Fuller Park

Board members present: Ryan Fisher, Dick Fiala, Dan Williams, Andrew Buss, Joy Gottschalk, Kathy Kornblum, Briana Daymont, Justin Wills, Mary Jane Mitchell

Board members absent: Sandra Bartsias, Eric David, Joy Glasser, Steve Bieringer

Also Present: Brigid Riley (Interim TNA Coordinator)

Called to order: 7:03pm

Officer Reports:
Secretary – Ryan moved to approve the March 2017 minutes, Justin seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.
Treasurer – Justin presented a rough draft 2017 – 2018 budget which he and Vanessa prepared for the City. Dan moved to recognize and accept the draft budget. Dick seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Updates

Interim Coordinator: Brigid was introduced to the full board as interim coordinator, following the March board meeting which approved the contract with her for the position.

Strategic Planning: After discussion with Brigid, the committee decided to slow the planning timeline down to ensure enough time for the full process and to better match focus groups and community meetings to summer schedules. Our annual meeting will be primarily focused on the planning process, and in addition TNA will hold a series of community engagement activities such as:
1. Focus groups: these groups will target under-served populations such as youth, seniors, renters and businesses.
2. Online survey: an online survey was identified as the best combination of participation and cost. Brigid suggested that each board member choose a block and spread word of the survey through door knocking.
3. Key informant interviews: the board will suggest community members who both Brigid and the board will interview.
4. Neighborhood meeting: an additional meeting will be held to share outreach results and gather input/priorities.

The planning process will also include an “internal scan” to assess the strengths/challenges of TNA itself, to determine how TNA might operate if City funding runs out after 2020 and what the overall goals for TNA should be.

Annual Meeting: The meeting location was mistakenly left out of newsletter. Kathy proposed sending a postcard for the annual meeting. Brigid will get quotes from at least two designers, determine content, and and coordinate with Kevin at Ideal Printers for printing and mailing. The postcard should go out first week of May. Kathy moved to allocate $600 for printing and postage for postcards for annual meeting. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Brigid shared a draft agenda. The meeting should focus on the strategic planning process and the future of TNA rather than current and future funding levels. Briana suggested stating the annual NRP/CPP allocation rather than overall funding. Justin suggested emphasizing the city-proscribed categories that many of our funds are locked into. Kathy volunteered to be MC/timekeeper.

While TNA historically does not have contested board elections, it is always a possibility and we must plan for it. Historically candidates presented what their contributions would be and why they were interested in joining the board, but in recent years there has been little contention for seats and interested residents were simply elected. TNA bylaws require that all attendees who are 18+ years of age and neighborhood residents may vote on candidates. We should have a contingency plan for secret ballots if there are contested seats. The board will discuss that plan via email.

Briana suggested describing our past & present committees and collecting emails from residents interested in being on those committees. Andrew suggested a column on the sign-in sheet for “what are you interested in”, like sustainability/environment, Special Events (4th of July), etc. Brigid will create the sign-in sheet.
Mary Jane reported that the food preparations are going well. In 2016 Cafe Ena catered with 2 platters of beef empanadas, 2 platters of cheese empanadas, and 4 platters chips & guacamole. There was some discussion of changing the amounts this year, and the board delegated that task to Mary Jane.

4th of July: Ryan will spearhead the committee. Dick and Briana will join and Mary Jane will be an alternate. There was discussion of hiring an event coordinator to assist with planning and operation of the event, and Ryan will create job description and send it to Brigid.

Utility Box Wraps: The Wraps committee identified 7 designs from the 20+ submitted for the initial round. While the board approved funding for up to 3 wraps in the December 2016 meeting, given the number of selected designs Dan requested funding for up to 7 wraps in the amount of $16,000, though not all 7 may be wrapped this coming year. Andrew moved to allocate $16,000 for box wraps contingent upon reimbursibility through NRP/CPP funds. Ryan seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved. Brigid will check with Kingfield and other neighborhoods about what funding category they used. She will also clarify with Stacey about NRP funding categories allowable, we may need to transfer money to our dormant NRP Crime Prevention fund to box wraps, as wraps are an anti-graffiti measure.

Rain Gardens: As of the meeting there are 5 applications for the lottery. At the December 2016 meeting the board approved up to 5 gardens, so if additional applications are received there will be a drawing to select the final 5.

Adopt a Storm Drain: 4 additional residents have signed up to adopt a storm drain, bringing the total to 7.

Ramsey School New Sign
Joy presented a proposal to move funds from the currently dormant Deferred Housing Loan ($22.56), Fuller Basketball Court ($446.48), and Washburn Watertower ($4530.56) NRP categories to the currently unfunded NRP I strategy 4.1.1.2 Ramsay School Sign to fund the approved $5,000 grant for new sign at Ramsey Middle School. A further allocation of $0.40 from TNA funds would complete the $5,000. Dan moved to move these funds to the stated NRP strategy, Ryan seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Ryan will be the point of contact with Ramsey on the sign project. Andrew suggested presenting the grant at the annual meeting and inviting Ramsey students to participate and receive the grant.

Neighborhood Roots Sponsorship
TNA was asked to consider sponsorship of the Neighborhood Roots organization which runs the Fulton, Kingfield, and Nokomis Farmers Markets. Kathy proposed a one-year sponsorship at the Cultivator level which includes a booth in one market, marketing/branding. Volunteers would be required to man the booth. Andrew suggested mentioning it as a volunteer activity at the annual meeting. Ryan suggested a subcommittee to figure out what our presence would be and what we’d be trying to promote. In the end, given our current commitments to strategic planning and our lack of branded marketing collateral, the board decided to consider sponsorship next year instead.

Green Day Cleanup
The Sustainability Committee requested $50 for food and supplies for a Minneapolis Parks Board sponsored Earth Day cleanup event. Briana moved to approve $50 for food and supplies for event. Mary Jane seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Garage Sale
Steve requested a budget of $840 for the TNA Garage Sale event, which includes funds for signs, a Star Tribune ad, and incidentals. This request is in-line with requests from past years. Dan moved to approve the request, Mary Jane seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Adjourned: 8:48

Minutes submitted by Dan Williams, TNA Secretary