April 2019 Board Meeting Minutes

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – Monday, April 15th, 2019 – 7:00 p.m., Fuller Park

Board members present: Dan Williams, Pat Collins, Ryan Fisher, Briana Daymont, Brian McDonald, Dirk Nicholson, Erik Brenna, Carl Arrell, Kellie Hanson

Board members absent: Dick Fiala, Steve Wohlford, Valerie Hurst, Joy Gottschalk, John Dukich,  

Also present: Sally Bauer (TNA Executive Director), Karlee Weinmann (Policy Aide for Councilmember Schroeder), Rachel Hoben (Fuller Park Director)

Called to order: 7:03

Officer Reports:

Secretary – Dirk made a motion to approve the March minutes, Carl seconded.  Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Treasurer – Brian presented updated financials. Total revenue year-to-date (YTD) is $12,447.19 and expenses are $12,839.65. Our bank balance is $46,691.86.

Fuller Park Updates (Rachel Hoben)

Two charcoal grills are being installed at the park and will be available on first-come-first-serve basis. Baby changing tables are also being install in the park building’s upstairs restrooms.

Councilmember Schroeder Update

Karlee delivered Jeremy’s update as he was at a conference. She thanked TNA for thoughtful feedback on the Neighborhoods 2020 plan. She said what’s most important to Jeremy is that the Neighborhoods 2020 process is fair and informed. Councilmembers will hear collected feedback from city staff on 1:30pm May 6; this meeting may also include a public hearing and comments can be submitted ahead of time to be included in the public record.

The City is in the process of planning the future of its transportation system. Public Works staff are developing two plans and soliciting public feedback. The Transportation Action Plan is a high level look at entire transportation system including cars, bikes freight, and streets. Jeremy is hosting a feedback meeting on April 29th from 6:30-8:00pm at the Nokomis library. The Vision 0 Action Plan is a three-year plan with a dedicated staff person, which looks to eliminate serious traffic-related injuries on our streets.

Jeremy is also hosting a session on Thursday April 18th at the Nokomis community center focusing on city initiatives about energy efficiency.  More information is posted on his Facebook page.

Bylaws

The TNA Board will announce a vote to approve updated bylaws at the May meeting before we open up board elections to ensure attendees and prospective board members are aware of the changes. Sally asked the City Neighborhood and Community Relations staff to review our proposed changes and the board incorporated the City’s feedback into an updated bylaws draft.

2018 Financial Summary

Profit & Loss: Brian presented a snapshot of our FY2018. TNA had a total income of $69,617.35 and expenses of $63,090.13 for a net income of $6,527.22. TNA’s bank balance was $44,971.56 as of December 31, 2018. TNA’s only liability is a $10,000 unused advance from the utility box wraps project that the City forgot to deduct from other payments. Brian and Sally suggested keeping the advance in TNA’s account so the City doesn’t have to write us a larger check for upcoming contracts.

Carl suggested moving TNA money into an interest bearing account to receive some income; Brian and Carl will investigate and present a proposal at the next meeting.

Pat made a motion to approve the P&L as presented, Carl seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Form 990: Brian presented the Form 990 that was put together by Sally and an accounting firm contracted with the City. In the past TNA filed the short Form 990 because our revenue was under $50,000 but for 2018 we had to file the longer Form 990 due to increased revenue.

Board Recruitment & Nominating Committee

Two recruiting events will be held this year: a “Bagels with Board Members” on 27 April at Saint Paul Bagelry and a Happy Hour on May 16th. New board members will be elected at the May meeting and the executive committee will be elected from among board members at the June meeting. Steve, Bri, Joy, and Ryan have announced their intent to step down from the board at the May meeting. There will be 8 board seats available.

Committee Updates

Spaces: the committee is determining updated Washburn water tower sign imagery and looking for volunteers for the May 11 Spring Spruce Up to pass out lawn bags and recruit for TNA.

Engagement: the committee reviewed last year’s 4th of July event and decided to follow the same general format this year, but discussed how to attract residents without children and develop additional business partnerships. Welcome bags will soon be distributed to new residents as of January. The Lyndale Open Streets event will be held June 2nd and Ryan is meeting soon with the Lynhurst neighborhood to organize our participation.

Environmental: CEE requested that TNA’s energy rebate amounts be consistent with those from Xcel and Centerpoint (15% up to $500 and no rebate for audits) which would be easier for CEE to manage. The committee is looking at a bonus recycling event (probably for textiles) in early Fall, and applying for an Organics Recycling outreach grant to push recycling participation over 60% in the neighborhood. Joy and Sally are organizing a tour of Eureka Recycling for Saturday June 1 at 10:00am. There are seven reserved slots for any resident of Tangletown.

ED Report

Annual Meeting Plan: The board decided the meeting’s focus will be what TNA has done and what we will be doing. Mayor Frey, Jeremy, and Brad Bourn are confirmed as speakers. Sally would like to identify who will share our 2018 review and highlight what is coming up. Kellie suggested making the presentations attractive with pictures/layout/etc. Pat asked about raffle items but the schedule may not allow for that. Ryan suggested challenging speakers to speak about Tangletown, rather than other hot topics the speaker may have other forums for. Bri suggested asking all three speakers the same theme questions.

For board elections, Kellie suggested having candidates come to the front, write out a nametag, and introduce themselves. Sally suggested also having candidates answer questions for 60 seconds. Bri suggested having Q & A only if there is a competitive seat.

Website rework: Sally proposed additional website cleanups and administrative usability improvements based on a proposal from a vendor TNA has worked with in the past. These improvements will make it easier for Sally and others to update the TNA website and events calendar. Dirk made a motion to approve up to $2500 for website improvements, Kellie seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

35W meeting: the 46th street southbound ramp will close for 1 year beginning in June. Sally is organizing a multi-neighborhood meeting for May 6th at 7pm at Pearl Park.

Fuller Park Ice Cream Social:  this event will be held June 5th from 5:30-7:30pm.

Neighborhoods 2020 Hearing: City Council’s Public Health, Environment, Civil Rights and Engagement Committee will hold a public hearing on Neighborhoods 2020 on May 6 at 1:30pm.

Work Plan Review: Sally reviewed her work plan and process to ensure board members were familiar with it.

Adjourned: 9:00

Minutes submitted by Dan Williams, TNA Secretary

X