2004 September 20th Board agenda

Agenda
Tangletown Neighborhood Association Agenda
Sept 20 2004

1. Officers reports- minutes, treasurer’s report
2. TNA web hosting services offer
3. Committee volunteers for 35W aesthetics committee and Corridor Housing Initiative”
4. Neighborhood “open mike”
5. NRP Approval of new member(s) and Policy Board elections
6. Old business– Home Tour
7. New business– Fall Festival


2004 August 16th Board Minutes

Agenda
Subject: TNA board meeting agenda

1. NRP PA and plan modification.
Approval of new members– Ed Wunsch and Peg Mountin
2. Officers reports- minutes, treasurer’s report, newsletter update
3. Frank Hornstien– airport and mass transit
4. old business
5. new business– Fall Festival, Home Tour
6. more bi-law information — Rus

Minutes

Tangletown Neighborhood Association August 16, 2004
Minutes

Board members in attendance: Roger Hegeman, Catalina Chadbourn, Lynell Voigt, Georgia Stephens, Samantha Kealey, Karen Larson, Sarah Kalweit

Meeting called to order 7:00

NRP Plan modification resolution Rus Thomas, Peg Mountin, Ed Wunsch, Perry Smaglik

1. Reallocate funds from Phase I Business strategy 2.1.1.1, Business Node Improvement Fund; to fund the Phase II Participation Agreement, not to exceed $36,000.

2. Reallocate funds from Phase I Business strategy 2.1.1.2, Lyndale Streetscape Implementation Fund; to Neighborhood Livability strategy 1.2.2.1, Plan Implementation Support, not to exceed $73,967.35. Total reallocation not to exceed: $109,967.35’’

3. Modifiy the language of Phase I Neighborhood Livability strategy 1.2.2.1: Hire personnel and provide an administrative budget to complete the implementation of the Plan. Hire personnel and provide an administrative budget to complete the implementation of the Plan, and thereafter, to facilitate plan development of Phase II. Etc. (see document attached to hard copy on file with Treasurer.) NRP Plan Modification Resolution passes unanimously

Minutes: July meeting minutes approved unanimously.

Home Tour Update: Lynell reported that five homes will be included in this year’s tour and that volunteers are needed to serve as greeters at the homes. Each board member can expect a call.

Newsletter update: Karen reported that the Fall 2004 Tangletown News has been distributed. It includes publicity for the Home Tour on Sept. 19 and for the Fall Festival to be held on Oct. 2. Voluntary Dues form has been reinstated and NRP Phase II information is accompanied by a participation form residents/business owners can send in.

State Rep. Frank Hornstein: mass transit and airport update Rep. Hornstein plans to meet with Governor Pawlenty about the accountability of gubernatorial appointments to the public. He and Paul Thiesen (Lynnhurst) will reach out to people in suburbs to drum up support to put pressure on MAC appointees. September 7 meeting at Ramada Thunderbird, 4:30-7 open house, 7:00 hearing begins. Crosstown Re-design: 50,000 more cars travel on 35W than on 394. He has built a coalition with Lakeville regarding transit. By 2008, Lakeville will be the 4th largest city in the state. Rep. Hornstein says that the 35W/Crosstown project should be a transit project, not a road project. Encouraged people to attend the Sept. 9 open house at King Park to gain information about project.

South Lyndale Development Workshops Paul Lohman updated TNA on the status of this series of 3 workshops which will be held this fall at Richfield United Methodist Church at 58th and Lyndale. The first workshop will feature speaker Mayor R.T. Rybak and will focus on Livable Cities. The second will cover Development ABC’s. And the third workshop will be an introduction to master planning. (2 handouts)

Anne Forsythe, of the U of M Design Center, spoke about how these workshops will give neighborhoods the resources to understand development and distributed materials showing housing types that serve different densities.

Call to action: this group asked for the names of 25 or more people, “opinion makers” from Tangletown and the other three participating neighborhoods (Windom, Kenny, and Lynnhurst) to participate in the workshops.

The workshops will be the kick-off for forming the master plan for Lyndale Avenue (creek to crosstown) with LASR-CC and the city. One major goal is to gather neighborhood input and avoid the more common scenario of developers coming with finished plan with no opportunity for input. The other primary goal of the project is to inform the public to prevent the misinformation that occurred regarding the Boulevard development project.

TNA Documents Rus Thomas distributed documents outlining TNA business procedures: a Financial Policy Manual and Proposed Voting Procedures. Board members should review and file with their copies of the Bylaws.

Meeting adjourned at 8:55 p.m.

Submitted by Karen Larson TNA Secretary


2004 July 19th Board Minutes

MINUTES
FOR THE JULY 19TH 2004
MEETING OF THE
TANGLETOWN NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

Board Members in attendance: Karen Larson, Georgia Stephens, Catalina Chadbourn, Lynell Voigt, Norman Foster
Others present: Mayor R. T. Rybak, Rus Thomas, Paul Lehman, Randy Baker, Mary Ann Campo, Captain Chris Arneson and her assistant, Sam Sarat, and Steve Horton
1. The meeting was called to order at 7 pm.
2. Mary Ann Campo presented us with a variance request for 512 West 53rd St. Motion not to oppose; by Lynell Voigt; Seconded by Catalina Chadbourn; Passed unanimously;
3. Randy Baker presented his plans for137 West 46th for our attention and discussion.
4. Steve Horton announced his plans for a new Bakery, “Rustica” adjacent to Java Jacks at and Grand. Although outside of our neighborhood, he wanted to let us know about the new construction for a business near our boundaries.
5. Paul Lehman distributed the budget for the SW neighborhood’s franchise of “Getting To The Bottom of the Ballot”. He requested our consideration of a contribution to this voting initiative which takes place between August 2004 and May 2005. We will be discussing this at the next TNA meeting. He then touched on the update of the Corridor Housing Initiative, and requested 20 minutes for a more thorough presentation and discussion at our next meeting. This will be on the agenda for our August meeting.
6. Mayor Rybak:
a) Captain Chris Arneson will be the future leader of the 5th district. The Mayor introduced her and her assistant Dale. She gave us a brief history of her experience with the Police Department. She can be contacted at 612-673-5504.
b) The budget: We received a copy of the proposed budget.
c) After many attempts to reach a compromised solution to the reneged promises of the Airport Commission to provide affected houses with noise insulation, the city has decided to sue.
d) The Mayor has established a Committee for continued discussion of the Smoking Ban proposal in Minneapolis. The cooperation of surrounding communities is needed for a workable solution.
e) Water those trees!! 5,000 trees have been planted to replace the numerous elms lost to Dutch elm disease. It is our responsibility to keep them alive.
f) The Mayor then emphasized the importance of our participation in the Corridor Housing Program. It is our chance to directly influence how we want our neighborhood to grow.

7. Rus Thomas and NRP News:
a) August the 16th is the NRP neighborhood meeting in combination with our regularly scheduled TNA Board meeting.
b) We approved the request to reinstate Ed Wunsch as NRP Treasurer for another year. Moved by Catalina Chadbourn; Seconded by Georgia Stephens.
c) Rus will help the Board revise and make current our TNA By-Laws at a meeting to be schedules.
8. Sam Sarat requested $455 to help maintain the Water Tower landscaping. In the 1998 contract with the City water Department, it states that neighborhood volunteers will be responsible for this. NRP monies are not available for this phase of the project. We approved the request pending a review of the budget with our Treasurer to make sure the money is available.
9. Home Tour Update—Lynell Voigt
a) 5 houses have been selected.
b) Catalina moved and Lynell seconded a motion to charge $8 a ticket for the tour
10. The Fall Festival will take place on October 2nd, 2004. a committee is being formed to make the festival happen.
11. Catalina gave a report on further reaction to the cancellation of the 4th of July Parade.
12. The meeting was adjourned at 8:35 pm.

Respectfully Submitted,
Georgia Stephens

X