June 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – Monday, June 19, 2017 – 7:00 p.m., Fuller Park

Board members present: Ryan Fisher, Dick Fiala, Dan Williams, Joy Gottschalk, Valerie Hurst, Steve Wohlford, Briana Daymont, Gabe Moreno, Kathy Kornblum

Board members absent: Justin Wills

Also Present: Stacy Sorenson (Minneapolis Neighborhood Specialist), Rachel Hoban

Called to order: 7:03pm

Officer Reports:

Secretary – Ryan moved to approve the May 2017 minutes.  Briana seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

LaMac Perc-Free Update

LaMac’s owner has obtained and installed the new equipment and now Tangletown is PERC free.  TNA still needs to get the funds to the City who is administering the grant.  Stacy suggested that the City enter into an agreement with the Health Department to pay the funds rather than TNA doing so directly, and the grant amount would be deducted from an appropriate TNA CPP strategy fund.  Stacy will check with her finance person to make sure this is OK.  LaMac would also like to schedule a thank-you/media opportunity in mid-July.  Kathy will attend for Tangletown.

Passing of Board Member Andrew Buss

Board member Andrew Buss recently passed away.  Ryan will communicate obituary details to board members and organize memorial funds from individual board members.

Officer Elections

Kathy proposed changing the bylaws to allow officers who have to suddenly leave the neighborhood to finish out their term.  Stacy will ask her city contacts if this is OK.  Officers were not elected during the annual meeting to preserve board continuity and institutional knowledge.  However, as some officers have completed their term, they will stand for election during this meeting.  All officers offered to vacate their positions if other board members wished to take over, but there were no challengers.

Steve moved to re-elect Joy as president, Kathy seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Dan moved to re-elect Kathy as vice-president, Valerie seconded.  Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Briana moved to re-elect Justin as treasurer, Dick seconded.  Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Ryan moved to re-elect Dan as secretary, Valerie seconded.  Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Updates

Lyndale Open Streets: Dick indicated this was the most successful Open Streets yet, with the Minneapolis Bike Coalition estimating that 45,000 people participated.  The event stretched from Franklin Ave down to 54th.  TNA had a tent on Minnehaha creek bridge along with other neighborhood associations.  Ruth Olson (coordinator for Lynhurst and Kenny) spent time organizing the neighborhood area including Tangletown as TNA has no coordinator at this time.  The Lynnhurst and Kenny neighborhoods asked TNA for a partial reimbursement for Ruth’s time.  Justin suggested covering 20% of her $2,000 billed amount.  Dick moved to reimburse Lynnhurst $400; Ryan seconded.  Voice vote, motion approved.

Dick will meet with other neighborhoods to recap and brainstorm improvements for next year.  Joy will create a Google Doc for those improvements and send the link around to board members.

4th of July:

Ryan requested a $4,000 budget on behalf of the 4th of July committee.  This amount pays for rentals, supplies, reimbursement of the band, prize giveaways, volunteer t-shirts, etc.  Volunteer sign-up is open and is hosted through Parks & Recreation website.  Brigid reports a postcard will be going out this week.  More social media posting should be done.  Ryan posted the event and volunteer requests on Nextdoor and Facebook.  The event should be added to the TNA Facebook Organization page as well.

Ryan moved to approve a $4,000 budget for the 4th of July event. Steve seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, none opposed.  Motion approved.

Strategic Planning:

Our community survey was live on June 3rd and has received 97 responses so far.  Notice was sent out via the email list, Facebook, our Lyndale Open Streets table and the TNA website.  Brigid will schedule the seven key informant interviews for July and August.  Her recruitment for focus groups (youth, seniors, renters) will also take place in July and groups will be held in August. Neighborhood meetings will be hosted in August or September at a local business.

New Board Member Onboarding

Stacy gave an intro and update on CPP/NRP for new board members.  Joy also compiled and presented an overview of regular TNA events to make it clearer when our activities and events occur.  Joy also demonstrated Google Drive.

Executive Director

A majority of the board met the previous week to discussed staffing issues and crafted a proposal for hiring an executive director.  The executive director would take a larger role than our previous coordinators have, 20 – 30 hours a week, $25-35/hour, contractor status.  Stacy was OK with contractor status though many neighborhood organizations hire executive directors as employees.

Kathy moved to accept the proposal to hire an executive director with contractor status for 20 – 30 hrs/week at $25-35/hour.  Steve secondex.  All in favor, motion approved.

The hiring committee will be Briana, Dan, Gabe, Ryan, and Joy.

Adjourned: 8:30

Minutes submitted by Dan Williams, TNA Secretary