October 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

BOARD MEETING MINUTES – Monday, October 16, 2017 – 7:00 p.m., Fuller Park

Board members present: Dick Fiala, Ryan Fisher,  Dan Williams, Joy Gottschalk, Briana Daymont, Gabe Moreno, Steve Wohlford, Kathy Kornblum,

Board members absent: Valerie Hurst, Justin Wills

Also present: Sally Bauer (TNA Executive Director), Rachel Hoben (Fuller Park Center Director), Brigid Riley (TNA strategic planning consultant), Stacy Sorenson (City NRP)

Called to order: 7:04pm

Officer Reports:

Secretary – Steve moved to approve the August 2017 minutes, Dick seconded. Voice vote, all in favor, motion approved.

Treasurer – Justin, Sally, and Stacy have met to map out better financial controls for TNA. Going forward, Sally (as Executive Director)  will do accounting (eg, track money spent and handle city reimbursements), Justin (as Treasurer) will write checks and manage the bank accounts, and Joy (as President) will approve funding requests based on board direction.

Strategic Planning Update

Brigid presented the Environmental Scan Report and answered questions from the board and attendees.

Survey:  TNA conducted a neighborhood survey in mid-2017, for which there were 225 respondents.  Stacy said this was a better response rate than most neighborhoods she’s seen.  The full report will be available on the TNA website. In general, most respondents have lived in the neighborhood either 1-5 years, or 10-15 years, and over 90% are home owners.  Respondents like Tangletown’s parks, open spaces, and neighborhood character.  They are most concerned about crime, traffic, and airplane noise.  Their priorities for TNA include local business, connections with neighbors, and life-cycle housing.  Most respondents still connect with TNA through the print newsletter, though at least a quarter do so through electronic means like the e-newsletter, social media, and website.  At least half of respondents used Fuller Park in the past year.

Steve asked about digging more deeply into the responses based on demographic data.  Brigid will share the data she has, but in the interest of keeping the survey short for participation reasons, we asked only a few demographic questions and cannot analyze demographic data too deeply..

Listening Sessions: Brigid conducted six listening sessions for which 26 residents participated.  Participants generally like the neighborhood’s strong sense of community, natural environment, well-kept homes, location, walkability, physical assets (architecture, water tower, street layout), great shops, restaurant, activity level, and safety.  Challenges included traffic and parking near the schools, crime, and airplane noise.  The neighborhood could improve by fostering connections between residents, holding more events at Fuller Park, connecting residents to services, and improving the police presence and relationship.  In the future, Specific future ideas for TNA included helping to create a stronger sense of community, luminaries on winter nights, a community garden, better branding/marketing for TNA and Tangletown, and enhancing pedestrian safety.

Seniors specifically suggested they have more free time than other residents and that TNA should figure out how to capitalize on that.  Most programs are targeted at families and broadening the scope of activities would help include seniors too.  Seniors also need help staying in their homes and when they are ready to move, there’s nowhere in the neighborhood to go (eg, “life-cycle housing”).  TNA should investigate what it can do to help.

Renters wished that programs and events were more open and inclusive of singles and across the lifespan.  Many renters are long-term residents too.

Participants suggested that TNA could improve communications and feedback from residents, improve visibility of TNA and of the neighborhood, and “broaden our lens” to better achieve participation from singles, families, and all ages and cultures.

Sally reported on her meeting with Creekside Commons.  There is a very long waiting list for the 30 apartments, which shows need for more affordable housing in the neighborhood and the city of Minneapolis.  Residents are very interested in connecting with TNA to learn of events and programs, but are not very aware of what TNA does.  They would like more places to play in winter time, but are quite far from Fuller Park, so many go to Pearl Park instead.  They are interested in community events and suggested that the community room at the building could be used for these in the future.

Barbara Balcom brought up the importance of friendships and connections in health and a healthy community (eg Blue Zones) and suggested we could bring the author of Blue Zones to Fuller as a speaker.

Key Informants: Brigid conducted one-on-one interviews with key informants in the neighborhood, including the principals of Justice Page and Washburn, City Council representative John Quincy, Dylan Sirny (business owner), Matt Perry (Southwest Business Association), and Emily Goldthwaite Fries (Mayflower pastor).  Sally interviewed Amanda Tottingham (Creekside Commons building manager).  Primary issues identified include safety, trash, traffic, parking, small business climate, crime, unacknowledged diversity, educational gaps, and airplane noise.  Future issues to focus on include the needs of an aging population, lack of affordable housing, and the effect of city policies on small businesses.  TNA should be more involved with partner organizations like schools, businesses, and Creekside Commons.

Joy asked Stacy about the “spirit” of housing funds for NRP; Stacy indicated NRP funds may be utilized on  more than just capital improvements.  This includes helping residents learn how to repair homes and stay in them, tool-lending libraries, renter options, fix-it clinics,  and training programs.  Other uses like energy efficiency and landscaping are allowed by themselves, but can be a component of a larger project.  The city has a document about this, which Sally can forward around to interested board members.

Executive Director Report

Box Wraps: one artwork was not approved by the city Arts Commission; Sally is working with the artist to find the right solution.  Sally is also working with the vendor to get final measurements and layouts, so that wrapping can begin at the start of the City’s spring wrapping cycle.

Newsletter: it has been printed and will be mailed this week; Tjody wasn’t available for this newsletter, so another graphic designer was used.  Sally reports that color may be an affordable option and she will continue investigating.  Valerie and Steve will serve as editors for this newsletter.

Leaf Raking: a second annual leaf-raking event for residents in need will be held November 4th.  Sally solicited board volunteers.

Nov. e-newsletter: Sally also asked for any additional newsletter topics from board members.  Steve volunteered to be interviewed for the November board member feature.

Projector Storage

Currently stored in a board member’s house, would like to store it at Fuller.  Sally and Joy will talk with Rachel.

Adjourned: 8:32

Minutes submitted by Dan Williams, TNA Secretary