Tangletown Neighborhood Association
Regular Meeting, Monday, May 19, 2008
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:01 PM.
2. The agenda was modified to include a neighborhood update by Brian Elliott (for Congressman Keith Ellison) and by Council Member Scott Benson, and a garage sale update.
3. The agenda was approved as modified.
4. Nikki Kenney from People for Parks gave a presentation. She explained that this not-for-profit was begun in the ‘70’s with money from General Mills to fund a program to combat Dutch Elm disease. Since then, the seed money has been augmented with other gifts. People for Parks has given money to the Park Board to upgrade the Lake Harriet bandshell, for example. Right now, the organization is looking for projects. There is a website: www.peopleforparks.net; 612-285-6557.
5. Brian Elliott, on behalf of Keith Ellison (612-522-1212) shared Ellison’s primary agenda:
a. Promote peace
b. Work for sustainability for the environment
c. Promote civil/human rights
d. Support prosperity for working families.
Brian also reminded us to use the office as red-tape cutters.
6. Scott Benson, Council Member, Ward 11 spoke.
He can be reached at [email protected] He will provide email updates upon request. He handed out copies of the 2008 Sustainability report (also available on line at www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/sustainability.)
Scott also handed out copies of the Minneapolis Greenprint (contained within the Sustainability Report). The Convention Center has been selected for an urban solar system. Wind power doesn’t work well in the city.
7. Garage Sale update.
Mary Jane Mitchell reported that, despite the weather, the sale was a success. People liked the bright yellow signs. Special thanks go to Carol Anderson at Fuller Park for her help. (She said a number of people came to the park for the first time to collect their signs…good exposure for the park.)
8. The Board voted not to send a letter for Creekside Commons.
8. 08-09 Board Member Election.
Andrew Hedden and Joe Thiegs do not wish to continue with the Board.
Curt Killett (Midwest Art and Frame) and Woody Dixon (City Hall) volunteered to serve on the 08-09 Board, along with Sarah Cortwright, Chris Burns, Mary Davidson, Jerry Doyle, Ryan Fisher, Meredith Johnson, and Mary Jane Mitchell.
Officers will be elected at the June 16, 2008 meeting.
9. Treasurer Jerry Doyle reported that he thinks we have money in the bank. (He has had trouble getting bank statements.).
10. Tom Balcom, our neighborhood historian, reported on a number of events of interest coming up:
A new book about Richfield (we were once part of Richfield) has just come out.
There will be a signing party for a new book about Harry Wild Jones at the Hennepin History Museum on June 14 from 1-5.
Tom will lead a walking tour of the neighborhood on July 26 (meet at 1:00 PM at Washburn Library).
On September 25, the Jones House (1 E. Elmwood, 51st and Nicollet) will have an open house at 6:30 P.M.. Liz Vandam, author of the book about Jones, will speak.
There are programs at the main Minneapolis Library to commemorate the sesquicentennial of the state, July-October. Check the library’s website.
11. Meeting adjourned at 8:40 PM.
Absent: Andrew Hedden.